A little more than a month ago, I noticed that my computer charger had slightly yellowed at the ends. Though I’m unsure how, it seemed like it had sustained some sort of heat damage. I went over to Wirecutter to pick one out, ordered it off Amazon, and… it never came.
Lately, there’s been renewed interest in clean, simple technology built to help us focus. Protocols like Gemini strip away the chaos of the web. Hardware hackers fit screens in mirrors and build beautiful minimalist displays to read the news, display data neatly in a picture frame, or provide a daily summary. Hidden amongst these many awesome projects is the reMarkable 2.
I’m on a roll! A second blog post in less than a month! Crazy. Anyway, as you may have noticed – depending on whether or not you read this via RSS or on the main site – I changed the site styles. I got rid of dark mode, added styles for code and keyboard blocks, and changed the look of links to a new cool design.
Update: I brought back dark mode. Light mode gave me anxiety.
I’ve been using the macOS Big Sur Beta for a couple of months now. So far it’s pretty fantastic, and a surprisingly smooth experience over all. One brand new feature in this update is the introduction of the Control Center. A close relation of its iOS counterpart, they differ in one key way: Control Center on macOS actually turns off services.
Those of you who read my last “I Wrote This” post
will know that I was having some trouble with my website. My site was
coded using Sapper, a Svelte-based web-app
framework I had been using for some time. I had chosen to use Sapper
because it allowed me to stay as close to the web-metal as possible,
while still letting me do some fancy things like use components,
scoped CSS, and server routes. However, after diving
deeper into website tests and statistics, I started noticing that my
“static” site had a lot more moving parts than I thought. The HTML was
crammed full of inline scripts and
blob://s, tanking performance,
wreaking havoc on my CSP, and breaking the site for people with
scripts disabled. I decided to move the site to Zola, a
ludicrously simple static site generator made in Rust. Feel free to
check out the source code here.
Post-WWDC2020, I decided to rewrite the backend of txtodo in SwiftUI using the new App and Scene structure. Rebuilding the app from scratch may have not been the best choice, but during that process I have massively simplified the app’s data structure, despaghettified some messy UI code, and spent two full days trying to solve a problem that didn’t exist. This is the story of that last bit.
It appears I’m not that great at keeping a weekly schedule. Right after I published my last post, I started a class on text adventures and have been living and breathing in Inform7 ever since. I’ve also spent some time working on this site – though I’ve got even bigger changes coming in the future – learning a few new languages, and listening to a whole lot of music. I think something happened in cybersec too? Oh also I learned how to drive.
Little known fact about Keybase: it has two onion addresses. The short fncuwbiisyh6ak3i.onion, and the longer keybase5wmilwokqirssclfnsqrjdsi7jdir5wy7y7iu3tanwmtp6oid.onion. Huh.
Hi! So, I just started this series and I already missed a week. Oh well. This week was a crazy week for Apple and their operating systems, as they announced iOS 14 and macOS 11 Big Sur at this year’s WWDC. I’ve also started working on a new game project, another little side project, and finding a good alternative to Keybase now that it’s owned by Zoom.
So, I’m FIGBERT – I wrote this.
nailed that intro. I’m a highschooler working in the tech world, currently stuck at home like pretty much everybody else who’s not trying to
die. I plan on using this blog to writing mainly on my experiences in the tech world, either in focused articles centered around one topic or more summary-style roundups like
this, the “I Wrote This” series.